Just the Beginning...


Hello dears,

Did you have a diary as a girl? I had dozens; homemade to leather bound to plain old comp books... Do kids today even know what comp books are? I ask because I read not too long ago kids aren't even being taught cursive anymore - I was disappointed. I always loved the loops, calling it "fancy letters" as a youngin', but I digress. This blog will be written like a diary, a letter never to be answered like those tucked between the pages of your childhood. Although I hope these spark something in someone because I want to hear from people like me so we can share and grow. It will contain some run-on sentences, acronyms, slang terms, a little bit of cursing, the occasional improper grammar snafu (don't be too harsh) and NSFW content.

To begin I like to wonder, what's in a name? I have chosen this title to be catchy... I hate the word "MILLENNIAL." Mostly because it comes with a negative connotation and when said most people are speaking it with disgust. But I can't change that I am in fact a millennial... from the 80s. By Wikipedia definition, Millennials are "(also known as Generation Y) ... researchers typically use the early 1980s as a starting birth years ... to early 2000s as ending birth years. Millenials are sometimes referred to as "Echo Boomers."  Personally I prefer Generation Y, it just sounds less repulsive.

Also I hate the word "GIRL", at least for anyone over the age 21. I am not sure what defining moment or age that one transitions from girl to woman but I definitely know/feel I am more of the latter than the former. But "diaries of a millennial american woman" didn't roll off my tongue the way I liked so GIRL it is. 

Anyway, I have chosen to write this is for my fellow millennials, girls, women, men and boys alike. I intend for this blog to be so relatable it hurts but I want it also to be meaningful. I will try to keep most entries short and sweet (aside from this one) since I know our attention spans are shortening but I will hope that you feel inclined to leave a comment and even share what is being written. Well I am looking forward to this hopefully growing into something great I will need your help to get there. Get ready Echo Boomers!

Thanks for reading!

Geny (pronounced "Jenny", FYI)



PS: Giving credit where it's due -- found Misty Granade's awesome art journal photo (above) on MakerMonthly's instagram. Follow Misty - @misty.granade and MakerMonthly - @MakerMonthly for some great inspiration.

Comments